PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY DIFFERENT MDA FOR CIRCLING APP ON RECIPROCAL R/Ws
Old 14th Mar 2011, 07:32
Capn Bloggs

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 9.G
this is NOT a RNAV approach. It's a NDB approach constructed in accordance with PANS OPS 4 as shown in the left bottom corner. If it was overlay the title would be GPS or NDB approach. Once you've realized that, and rightfully pointed out deficiencies, you simply fly it raw data and use the FN point to commence your 3 degree descent towards the minimum instead of dive and drive. The title of the procedure states clearly what it is and how it must be flown.
That's not the way thousands of these approaches are flown. The FMS is used to fly the NDB approach; no "overlay" or "title" necessary. The primary purpose of FN26 and RW26 is to facilitate the FMS flying the approach. The final descent path is coded at 3° from FN26 to RW26. You are welcome to fly 3° raw data from FN26, but you may may well pop out above the PAPI at the MDA. If I didn't have a DME or FMS VNAV profile to follow, I'd be going down a bit/earlier than FN26 just to make sure I got to the MDA before it intercepted the GS ie Dive and Drive.