PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Posted on the Wannabe Forum
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2011, 23:13
ETOPS240

the figure you quoted for SO is about HALF of what you are earning now! From the figure you quoted that would be roughly 30,000HK / month
I'm not for one minute suggesting your advice doesn't stand, or that it isn't a terrible idea to bring a family of 5 to HK on an SO salary, but lets not forget that the SO package, while not as good as the B-scale, certainly took a step in the right direction.

Pay, with the raise and new allowance will make the basic pay a shade under US$80k, which after tax and equivalent retirement contributions makes for larger monetary amount.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that your lifestyles will be the same, they won't. I'd go so far as to say it would be nigh-on impossible to balance it. But, lets not make the package sound worse than it is. Like everywhere else, it is simple supply and demand.

Wait out for the likes of FedEx/UPS, sir. That would be my advice if you want to fly heavies around (at night). The SO programme is intended for folk with far lower experience levels - instructors and the like. Despite the naysayers, it does come with a good career bolted on to it. That said, you're in the ballpark for a Direct Entry FO position, which sadly doesn't seem to be on the cards for a little while. Although... Give it time.

Good Luck!