PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WHY DIFFERENT MDA FOR CIRCLING APP ON RECIPROCAL R/Ws
Old 13th Mar 2011, 23:13
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by BOAC
I am familiar with 'ff05' but not 'FN' - I assume there is no significance to a pilot in the different lettering - 'ff' / 'fn'? I see also it does refer to a 'Jepp NavData waypoint'.
We have FDs here as well.

Originally Posted by Aterpster
The legal MAP is the NDB, which is 1.1 miles beyond the threshold. Why they coded a different MAP is beyond me. There are many of these remaining in the U.S., (VOR or NDB overlays) but when there were Jepp didn't move the MAP.
We have numerous examples of this here in Oz. I believe Jepp codes it that way because they assume, as it is a runway approach, you will not be circling after passing the threshold and not Visual. Therefore the runway threshold (RW26) is coded as the "end" of the approach although our coding also has the navaid after RW waypoint, then the MA climb.

Of note is that the database track from the "FAF" waypoint eg from FN26 to RW26 will not be the charted track if the navaid is offset. Because of an ARINC rule ("if FF, RWY and MAPt all lie within 0.14nm of the same track"), Jepp are able, and do, code direct to the RW26 waypoint from FN26. Obviously, if the navaid is offset, the flown track will diverge from the charted track, with the aircraft tracking "straight" at the threshold whilst being offset (requiring a double-turn when Visual), instead of crossing the centreline at around the MDA on the charted track, requiring only one turn onto final. Practically, this can be a real problem as the crew is presented with a significant double-turn to get lined up on final after becoming Visual.