PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why so few girls ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2002, 19:08
PPRuNe Pop

I am surprised that a tone of bitchiness is rearing it's ugly head. That is NOT meant to suggest that it is coming only from the ladies either. Some of whom I know personally, and know to be sensible and knowledgeable of aviation.

So...perhaps it might be as well to steady the tone and keep an interesting thread alive.

From a personal point of view I have watched with interest over very many years the number of girls entering aviation, both civil and military, and I am delighted that this has happened. I flew with one of the first, Jean Cazalet, Marion Booth and others. There are some fine women pilots in many of the airlines now too, and in the military, one of whom I have enormous respect for as a Captain of a C130. Now, there is a lady who is in command of a RAF helicopter Squadron. There is also one of our wannabe Astraeus cadets who has just completed her line training and is now a fully fledged FO on the B737. We also have McD, one of our moderators, who has demonstrated that not only can she fly a B767, she can, and has, acquitted herself supremely well at the controls of and F16 fighter! What CAN you add to that?

Credit MUST be given to these females who have by and large had to put up with bigotry and bloody mindedness. In that regard I think that those who are guilty of such stupidity must question their own position and reasons. Women in aviation have as much right to be flying big and small jets as do the guys.

PPP