PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So many multiple correct (or none correct) answers
Old 12th Mar 2011, 12:13
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So many multiple correct (or none correct) answers

I have just started working through the 7-exam IR set (FAA CPL/IR to JAA PPL/IR).

On a quick look I know about 50% of it straight off. Especially a lot of the aircraft-tech stuff which is easy for any pilot who actually flies something reasonably nontrivial.

And one spots loads of deliberate word play questions, like selecting a standby pitot if your static vent blocks up.

But I am finding lots of questions where there is more than one correct answer, and the multiple answers are equally correct - or at least any inequality in their correctness is aircraft/system-dependent. Especially in avionics, which I happen to know a bit about (been in electronics for 45+ years).

I also see some where none of them are right, or the answer is totally system specific. For example one question is when (in which modes) you see wx info on an EHSI. I have an EHSI (Sandel 3500) in my plane and I can tell ya that it is a totally bollox question.

How come these things have been there for about 10 years (JAA?) and are still there?

Maybe a part of the answer is that nearly everybody doing these exams is a young lad/girl who has no previous knowledge of aviation so they don't spot it, are just happy to pass, and anyway one promptly forgets this stuff because it's obvious that at least 90% (no exxageration) is not relevant to practical flying. But if EASA gets its way and forces a load of existing N-reg pilots to sit the JAA/ EASA exams, a lot more people are going to have a moan.