PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 11th Mar 2011, 08:28
Runway vacated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Betty girl, despite using this issue to get in a dig at BA pilots, I shall try and explain why you have missed the point...

This is not about NF, WW or EF. This is not about pilots protecting their current pay and conditions (our union have done a very effective job on that score), nor is it about us needing the support of the cabin crew in a struggle that will only benefit us.

This is about a fundamental upheaval in the way ALL crew can be rostered throughout the entire EU. What was previously an illegal roster will become the norm, be you a pilot or stewardess. The entire concept and definition of 'fatigue' has been changed, and the playing field has been tilted firmly in favour of the airlines. Bless you for thinking that BA will not put safety before profit. The EASA proposals completely re-define what is meant by 'safe'.

If you think your current agreements will protect you, then I beg to differ. How will you go about ensuring such protection? Strike? I think not. With competitors rostering to the new limits, and enjoying the commercial advantage they will bring, BA will have no choice but to impose (there's that word again!) a change in working practice. Take it or leave.

What the pilots are trying to do is make you aware that these proposals are on the horizon. Most cc are utterly unaware of this threat to their quality of life, which in itself speaks volumes for the competence of BASSA. I, and most other pilots, want them to be aware of the situation. If they choose to act, then they need to let BASSA know, and quickly. If they choose not to, then at least they have had the choice.

By all means continue to criticise the pilots in BA if you wish. But on this issue the interests of pilots and cabin crew are aligned.