PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 11th Mar 2011, 08:02
MrBunker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Betty girl
Thank you Mr Bunker.

I understand how you perceive this as a threat and I can see this is a worrying new development for aviation but as Mixed Fleet crews are already struggling with some of their rostering and BA have acknowledged this and are alleviating some of the issues to make their rosters more sustainable, I personally feel it is unlikely that they would adopt even worse rostering practices for them
Last one from me off topic - this is where, I think, the point may be missed. It's not about sustainability of rostering - it's about a whole new legal framework which means that the entire way your roster looks will change. Long haul flight followed by 7.5 hrs rest as a minimum requirement for example. And once BA can fly 1000 hrs per crew member per annum instead of 900, it means the crew won't even run out of hours. Yes, they might well be fatigued but, in the current world, how do you think they'll likely be managed if they start pulling themselves off trips due to that? The reason I fear for this is that it doesn't rely on the largesse of an employer to stick to agreements. It's commercial suicide for BA if they don't take up these new limits IF they become law as, sure as eggs is eggs, every other operator will roster their crew to them and then, unless BA go with it, we'll be fiscally unviable. I think it's a lot lot more serious than you think it is, be you flight or cabin crew.

MrB