PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 11th Mar 2011, 07:44
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Thank you Mr Bunker.

I understand how you perceive this as a threat and I can see this is a worrying new development for aviation but as Mixed Fleet crews are already struggling with some of their rostering and BA have acknowledged this and are alleviating some of the issues to make their rosters more sustainable, I personally feel it is unlikely that they would adopt even worse rostering practices for them.

I can understand how worrying it is for the pilot communities in particular because competition for pilot jobs is so high across Europe and the World at the moment and BA pilots are very well remunerated compared to some of the European low cost carriers but for cabin crew, the terms and conditions that Mixed Fleet are working to, are actually at the level BA want. They are on a low basic and productive compared to E/F and WW and work to an incentive scheme and BA realise that you need, keen and happy cabin crew, to give good service, not knackered tired ones. So apart from comming for us now (people like me), the job has been done. Of course I can completely see how worrying it must now be for all of you because of course BA could repeat their model of direct entry senior crew onto a new pilot fleet on new terms and conditions!

I also want to make the point that BA is a very safety minded airline and I really don't think they would put profit before safety, although of course maybe some of the smaller airlines might be tempted to, so I have faith in the fact that all our management are aware that the CAA rules are the safest and as such I personally believe BA will continue to use these guidelines. I do think however they will definitely adopt the new total hours per year because of course the 900 hours limit, incidentally also imposed by the EU, has been a nightmare for BA.

I think maybe you should start a new thread called EASA because I feel that this is not what this thread is about. I know that you are all convinced that Unite has not looked into this but I feel it is a tenuous link with this dispute and although it is important, I don't think it is what this thread is supposed to be talking about.

These are all my own personal views and not those of BA.

Last edited by Betty girl; 11th Mar 2011 at 09:36.