PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAM site 'upgrade'
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2002, 11:43
Keef

Official PPRuNe Chaplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QQQ/WBS

I've not been involved with that many cases (only two in the last ten years, neither of them because I was the bad boy, I'm happy to say).

In both cases, the "offender" was given a stern ticking off, and that was it. In one case, it must have cost the CAA quite a bit, cos one of their inspectors came to my office to interview me about what I'd seen (a chap doing aerobatics inside controlled airspace, without talking to ATC).

General

So I check the NOTAM site, find nothing about Red Barrows or PJE on my route, and fly. I get an MOR filed against me for infringing one, or both.

I go to court, show that I'd consulted the NOTAM site (with my printout to prove it) and argue that I took all reasonable care - what else could I have done?

Although the NATS site has the weasel-words, what OTHER source of information could I have used to avoid infringing?

I think "reasonable care and due diligence" would stand me in reasonable stead with a reasonable judge.

What else COULD the CAA argue we should do, other than not fly at all - and we have licences and a legal right to do that, don't we?

Or don't we have a "right" to fly?