PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 9th Mar 2011, 09:38
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axe2grind.
I don't know how long you've been on or around these forums, but there are certain people who are always going to be down, certain posters who will always just tell it "as it is" and certain that are always upbeat.

PKB has his (?) moments, but generally is in the middle group.
What he has said below is - probably - correct. Bealzebub is also - probably - correct. What they are both in essence saying is in response to the constant stream of "IcouldpayformytrainingmodularANDgetaTRandabillionhoursontyp e" brigade.

I'm ex-integrated. Modular is a VERY good choice, partic whilst uncertainty remains around hiring. However, DO be aware of what Bealzebub is saying. It depends on what you want - what PKB is telling you is yes, you could get the same qualification for less money and go and buy hours on type from line training companies BUT THESE HOURS ARE WORTH APPROX ALL. So many people - SO many - jump for the "it's a billion pounds cheaper than integrated" selling point of mod, only to find that actually, £50k for no job is still actually very painful. And using the money they saved, they've bought hours on type - which are STILL worth naff all.
I'm NOT saying Integrated will get you a job where mod won't. I do think it's slightly more likely to (but then, I would...) - the question for each person is how much is that perceived increase in opportunity worth.

Just as anyone who says "going integrated is the only way into XYZ airline" or "going integrated gives you a MUCH better chance of success" should be treated as somewhat dillusional, anyone that tells you "modular costs 28p and you can buy a concorde rating with a squillion hours for the cost of an integrated course and you'll be in a MUCH better position than those spoon fed Daddys' boys" should also be treated as bordering on insane. That is ALL I believe PKB was trying to say.