PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Go Around at MAN
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 22:35
NudgingSteel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice photo....but why on earth would something landing on the same runway as a departing 757 elect to go-around to avoid vortex? The departure won't lift it's nosewheel (and hence start generating votices) until well beyond the touchdown zone, at which point on the runway the next arrival should be well and truly planted on the ground. A go-around surely puts you at more risk of flying through the departure's vortices, as he'll be climbing through your level.

Jet blast, on the other hand (which I think used to be called turbulent wake, before vortex wake was renamed) from the engines at take-off power....that's a different story, and I appreciate that for a light a/c touching down in the jet wake of a bigger a/c on a calm day, things may become somewhat exciting...

I'm aware of at least one regional jet pilot who feels the 757 in take-off configuration isn't the monster it's made out to be...he reckons it's the vortices from the outboard end of the flaps at landing config which is the real danger. I stand prepared to be fully corrected now by crews who have experienced otherwise!!!!!!!!!!!!