PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New DXB tower/radar procedures - flightcrew please read
Old 8th Mar 2011, 16:58
Yellow Snow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello again,

iflytb20, I can promise you that if any of our approach controllers put your 737 4-5 miles behind a A380 they will be suspended and the regulator (GCAA) will demand a full investigation. Minima is 7 miles and you should be vectored onto the ILS with 8 miles seperation to allow for catch up, if this catch up infringes the 7 miles minima then tower must send you around. Read the previous postings about speed control and wake seperation, the regulator and our safety department are very hot on this.

vbrules, I appreciate that your intention was not to offend but I think some of my radar bretheren may 'bite' on your remarks so allow me to attempt to answer first as an ex LHR tower controller. Your comments do not compare apples for apples, yes the London TMA is handled fantastically well but it is also designed and refined incredibly well for this purpose. The DXB TMA is askin to a chocolate tea pot when it comes to handling large peaks of traffic that we get here, ie not very efficient. That combined with a wide variety of pilot backgrounds, no inbound holds controlled by Dubai approach, huge amount of airspace owned by the military, lot's or restricted airspace and other stuff I can't talk about on here, oh and SHJ constantly getting into the mix, I think on the whole the majority of the radar guys do a fantastic job with the tools and airspace they have. Simply it's not fair to compare the two TMA's. Come for a visit and sit in on arrivals or departures and you'll soon see how tough they have it.

As for the world's second best, with a PPRUNE name like VB rules I'd have thought you'd be used to this standard