PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going to Gulfstream 200 type initial?
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 13:10
supermoix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good advise above, let me see...

Before going to FSI:

- Study the aircraft systems, they look complicated for a jet newbie but put some logic to it. split the book in chapters, take one to read everyday, take side notes

- Memorize by heart Limitations, Abnormal Memory Items until you can recite them.

- Try to get a poster and learn the position of all switches lights and knobs in the cockpit.

- Learn what means every light in the master warning panel (annunciator panel).

- Learn where and what is located in your QRH.

- Take notes notes notes... is easy to forget what to ask while you're sitting in the classroom.

- If you haven't flown multi-crew aircraft before, i will recommended to read basic CRM, and get organized, you will have in the sim on your right side a PNF ready to help you in the drills and procedures, and he will expect the same from you when you're acting as PNF.

- Let the instructor know verbally what you're doing and talk to your crew, don't fly like a little silent mouse not talking and doing things without others knowing what your actions are going to be, I hate this, and the instructors too, they really need to know what you're thinking to make a sim session worthwhile.

FSI will train you to proficiency, any lag in knowledge or sim they it will be covered and reviewed as necessary to send you to your check ride ready to pass. What they won't do is to teach you general IFR flying, but I don't think it is going to be your case. 99% of the instructors I've had are very professional and helpful.

Been in the ground and sim with 0 jet time 2,000 hours pilots and with 20,000 hour pilots with most of his time in jets, and I've observed the same weakness repeat, and it is relying on the class to learn instead of studying ahead by their own or at at nights in the hotel room after classes or sim. Laziness shows itself.

You will have great sim sessions followed by catastrophic ones, don not get affected, pay atention to this situations, there are plateaus and peaks of learning in every sim session, you will not be expected to be perfect, but safe and precise in your actions and decisions.

After several weeks of initial training, and after a satisfactory check ride, you will be ready to really understand the plane when you start flying it, enjoy!!!

Supermoix