PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what to choose, what to choose???
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2011, 11:04
Ando1Bar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, time for a serious answer from me.

My preference for navigation is the C172. Flying around Queensland the high wing provided more shade, the air vents are better (in your face, not at your feet) and you've got big windows to open when taxiing around. The high wings make it easier to confirm ground features, however low wings are not too bad if you're looking ahead (which you should be doing during a decent nav cycle).

The PA28 does teach you better fuel management. However, it's not rocket science learning to switch tanks.

Performance and endurance are very similar - only around 7 to18 litres difference in usable fuel from memory. The rest comes down to what feels best for you. I liked the position of the throttle and trim when I first started flying Pipers. Initially I preferred a PA28 over a C172N, but the more modern C172 R or S(P) models are more comfortable to fly and I would prefer one of these over a Piper.

One last consideration - which type has more availability once you finish your PPL? No point doing all of your flying in Cessnas if the Piper is the only one available on a weekend when you want to fly it.