PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Navigation - FAIL
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 15:42
QSFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL Navigation - FAIL

Hi,

I have just taken and failed my PPL Navigation exam – quite frustrated by it all as the method I was using was fine, I knew what I was doing, but the answers were just slightly wrong – i.e. give the Magnetic heading of A to B…I’d answer say 071 and the answer was 073. Obviously getting things like the heading wrong to start with meant my calcs for drift, G/S, journey time etc. were off so the knock on effect was that I ended up getting a handful of questions wrong – but only out by a degree or 2, a kt or 2 or a couple of mins for journey times – but ultimately failing. I would know I was doing something totally wrong if the answers I were giving were miles out but they weren’t.

So my question is how have I managed this? Could it be a simple thing like using a chinagraph that was too thick to mark the chart meaning I was reading off the True track as a degree or 2 out to begin with? Same with marking the flight computer – sometimes its quite difficult to get the centre dot over 85 or 95 etc. as the squares are in units of 2…

I am just paranoid that I’ll take it again and exactly the same thing will happen, as I really couldn’t have studied any more, I know all the methods to create a flight plan, and how to use the inside out for all calculations. Am I missing something vital or is it just a case of being a bit more careful when drawing my chart lines and marking my CRP?

Any advice most appreciated.

Thanks.