PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA approves iPad as EFB
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2011, 01:43
Red Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The GPS engine in the iOS products is actually remarkably capable. It is a fully fledged 12 channel GPS and my iPad receives a perfect GPS signal while taxiing on the ground, while mounted next to the steering tiller on the 777. Useless in the flightdeck while in flight though (as are ALL other handheld GPS's I have tried on the flitedeck) due to the electric windshields on the B777, effectively blanking any faint GPS signals attempt at reaching me in my little goldfish bubble. Taking the iPad back into the cabin, holding it anywhere near a passenger window yields a very good reception on both iPad and iPhone. I am picking up the iPad 2 in LA next weekend and look forward to having a play with the added functionality of the built-in gyroscope. The CL900 looks very nice, but I have almost weaned myself off the evil Windows world and cannot see myself go back in the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong - I can't stand the Apple corporate philosophy and the closed software architecture, but LOVE their products. The user experience on the iOS products is just unparalleled in the Android/Windows Mobile world.

Last edited by Red Jet; 7th Mar 2011 at 03:01.