PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost Comparison of Integrated Courses
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 11:40
BoeingDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the TR with CTC according to other threads are around £10.000, + add you need to do their prep. course/MCC which I believe is something like £7000.

Now you can get combined MCC/TR - which I have been quoted equals £1300 for the MCC itself.

I have met few guys, very good guys, from Oxford and CTC, and they are all out there looking for work after having spent £XX.XXX's

They have MASSIVE loans to repay, now scenario is like this.

If you lend £70.000 - £80.000, you will have massive repayments to make, soon. You complete your training, and you are not one of the "lucky few" who firstly get selected for a program, or one of the lucky few who can afford and get selected for Ryanair, fact is that you will most likely get NO OTHER flying job, unless you become a FIC. (which by the way pays peanuts)

You finish your program, get the nice blue book, but it becomes useless, you have to factor in another £35.000 (for Ryan Air), yes TR is £28.000 + extras that you will need to have during training period.
How will you live during the TR training or the the training before your line check?

I know from people getting accepted by RYR, there are actually equal amount modular or integrated students. I personally know loads of modular students.

However it seems here there are some people has confirmation bias, they have ONE idea, which might lead them into financial ruin (or lead their parents into it), who just see one colour of the flag, and it is only one way, without considering the consequence of these actions.

All I have been saying here, if you intend to spend this kind of money, there are other ways that will give you better chances for a job.
Which will increase your odds much more to get your first job.

I am not saying Oxford, CTC etc. are bad schools, however having seen Oxford myself during my MCC, I would say there are some pretty good modular schools out there too.
Skills and quality of the people end of the day from what I can see are the same, either way you go.

M1ghtyDuck: I am waiting to hear how a friend of mine is doing, he has gone to Germany to the TR, as the EJ TR company in the UK is fully booked for around the next 4 - 5 months. Then he goes I believe to Indonesia, I believe it is with Lion Air.
I don't have much details about it, he showed me the contract and some details. As soon as you complete your 500 hours you get 12 months employment, he told me the pay was around 3000 -5000 Euro a month, + free place to live.
But you will be away for at least 18 months, during this time you can not leave except if it has something to do with your medical, and flight licence.

For me it is not an option, I have family, it will not suite everybody, and I would NEVER take my family out to Indonesia, been there before, it is not my ideal place to have a family. But if you are young, and without a brain, it is an excellent place to gain some proper life experience. Just be careful with the girls out there, if you think flight training is expensive, they might just cost you more then integrated training costs. (But you don't need TR to date them)