PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR versus Real World Events
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2011, 07:08
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In earlier posts I really hoped that that the whole Libyan NEO/JPR topic would be safely put to bed, with some well deserved praise for the Herc crews and SF contingent, with only the fallout of a big flashing warning light and very noisy klaxon sounding for the the current HMG on continuing with this current folly of a treasury led reduction in the UK's military capability that has now, and will in the future, put UK nationals lives at risk.

I wondered how many times the PM and Foreign Minister would have to say 'sorry' during their time in office and I really hoped that no loss off life would come as a result of SDSR, especially after all the high level, experienced and respected advice from all quarters that are saying very loudly to stop and reconsider.

I also hope that the Sunday Times report this morning on SAS personnel being taken hostage is media hype and a non event, but regardless of Libya this scenario is very real and highly likely to happen again between now and the much lauded Force 2020.

I have absolutely no idea what contingency plans are in place, but irrespective of Afghanistan a carrier and amphibious task force, already in or on the way to the Med would be able to present the Prime Minister with so many more options than he currently has (and I so want to get away from the very negative single service atmosphere in all levels of defence at the moment). I use the carrier and Fishead piece as an example for this scenario, and also include Maritime Patrol and over all FE@R.

Let's hope that the PM's view on a Euro Defence Force and Coalition approach will see the French, Italians or the US help us out of the corner where the treasury has backed us.