PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what would you do in this emergency scenerio?
Old 4th Mar 2011, 19:20
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the little spamcans that most of us here fly, the legal rule in such a scenario is actually to go to a non-controlled airport and land there.
I'd like to see that rule?

If you have a problem that warrants it (I am not talking about this problem especially) you land at the nearest available airport.

It is nonesense to ever suggest otherwise. I have had people tell me when your engine quits in a twin the other engine is to get you home. The other engine is to get you to the closest airport - if it happens to be an inter galactic port so be it! I guarantee you will look really stupid when you land in a field on the way back to your home base, run over a ditch, total the air craft and crack a rib.

The rule is the same in a single - if the problem warrants it, land at an airport any airport as soon as possible. Dont think for a moment that because it is "big" airport I had better go else where. Heathrow and Fairoaks have a length of tarmac that is good to land on and always better than a field, one is a bit longer and a bit wider but thats it.

As to making a drama landing in a field shouldnt be a drama in a 152 but a field you dont know is never going to be a better option than an "airport" - if you can make the airport thats the route to take, if you cant do the best you can with the field.