PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NOTAM site 'upgrade'
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2002, 22:12
PhilD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I completely agree. Compare the attitude of AOPA UK and the CAA (who so far seem to have been silent on this issue) with these quotes from the AOPA US website about TRAs (Temporary Restricted Areas) and US NOTAMS:

------------

Aug. 28 — The FAA has acknowledged what many pilots already know; flight service station briefers don't always tell them about temporary flight restriction areas (TFRs). Now the agency vows it will fix the problem.

In a letter to AOPA President Phil Boyer, Acting FAA Administrator Monte Belger said the FAA is implementing a "TFR Action Plan" to improve the flow of TFR information to general aviation pilots.

FAA is responding to AOPA's demand for action to improve the notam system to provide pilots with timely, accurate, and understandable information, particularly concerning TFRs.

"AOPA is encouraged by this strong response from Mr. Belger," said Andy Cebula, AOPA senior vice president of Government and Technical Affairs. "Ongoing security-related airspace restrictions and inadvertent incursions are some of the most pressing problems facing general aviation. It is critical that FSS personnel and pilots have the most current information."

FAA has also committed to implementing graphical notams as soon as possible. It is currently testing a Jeppesen product that would plot TFRs on aeronautical charts. In mid-July, the FAA published several security TFR maps on its Web site. FAA also installed a "hot-link" capability from DUAT to the FAA Web site.

According to Belger, the FAA has also sent a notice to FSSs, holding them accountable for providing the information while conducting pilot weather briefings. FAA will place special emphasis on TFR dissemination in all future evaluations of the system.

-------------

'TFR Action Plan', 'Graphical NOTAMs', 'AOPAs demand(!)' ..... it's a different world. I wonder if the UK powers-that-be ever look at this stuff....they certainly don't seem to speak this language

I'm particularly struck by the talk in the last para about 'accountability', especially when compared with the pathetic disclaimer on the NATS website. It seems no-one in the UK wants to stand up and take responsibility for this mess. I'm sure if there is an accident the CAA and NATS will be queuing up to blame the pilot....