PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dual Control Input whilst landing
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2011, 18:47
GlueBall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need for dual control touch...

Why ever would the PM need to "follow through" on the controls by having his feet touching the pedals and having his paw touching the control stick/yoke/wheel..? With feet on the floor, how far would that be from the rudder/brake pedals...6 inches, 12 inches? How many milliseconds would it take to be on the pedals if necessary? How far would your hand be from the stick/yoke/wheel...? How many milliseconds would it take to grab the stick/yoke/wheel if necessary?

Now and then I would see an F/O place his hand(s) on the wheel [B747] during turbulence in cruise; and I would ask him if he was "helping" the autopilot negotiate the inputs; I tell him that if he wants to keep his hands on the wheel that he would have to disconnect the autopilot and fly manual, because I would want to know who's flying the airplane. The usual answer would be that he was only having his hand on the wheel in case the A/P were to disconnect. Gee...it's the same story: How many milliseconds would it take to grab the wheel if the A/P were to disconnect?