PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hopeless at landings
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2002, 17:16
bottieburp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landings

Shoot me down instructors, but I used to instruct too.

Back in the old days I really couldn't afford to learn to fly(even at £6.40 per hour!). I therefore disciplined myself to book a lesson only if the weather was right for the exercise and would cancel if it wasn't.

Peer pressure dictates that the instructor will always relieve you of your money.

However, you are the customer. If you are 'early circuits' then the last thing you want is a howling crosswnd - something that - well lets face it - plenty of pilots with a thousand hours or more can get horribly wrong.

Better to get some in when the wind is favourable and not spend your money on a long frustrated face.

Crosswind landings are a natural progression in your training. Learn to land - then learn to land in less than perfect conditions. Seems sensible to me.

By applying this discipline - which in practise didn't cause too much anxiety to the school in view of the fact we had more than 1 runway and i worked shifts - I had completed my full PPL sylabus, including my solo cross country - all non radio in a taildraggin' Condor - in just 26 hours, having solo'd at 11. I did my GFT at 39 hours.

So - the message is - if you can afford it and the 'hours to solo' don't bother you (they shouldn't bother you a jot - many top professionals struggled initially) carry on as you are.

If not - pick your days, get off solo quickly and build on that experience. Once you can get the roundout right - booting the drift off comes with a bit more practise. However, trying to get it all right, and consistently right to a standard that your instructor is happy to send you off? - thats another story! He won't in a 15kt crosswind - never.