PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost Comparison of Integrated Courses
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 00:49
BoeingDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It amuses me how much ignorance there is.
Yes Bealzebub, you are correct, and you have valid points, not disagreeing with you.

I have currently done MCC/JOC course at Oxford, met SEVERAL guys from there who finished 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 months ago, and they told me that most of the students in their class did NOT HAVE ANY JOBS, they NOT EITHER HAVE ANY PROSPECTS for jobs, unless they applied for RYR or EZY, but many could not afford the money to get into those programs, that meant another £30.000 + +, after already have spent £70.000 - £80.000, just to get basic, CPL/ME/IR and MCC/JOC.

That is the reality!

you will probably be 1 in 1000 getting a job directly after Oxford with an airline, where you do not have to pay your own TR on top of the training.
RYR don't care if you are modular or integrated, if you are good enough, you are good enough.

Let's do a quick rewind, being devils advocate here.
You spend all that money, end up with licences, very low hours, very little experience, and the only chance you get a job is that you pass a proper airline assessment, then part with another £35.000 for TR/and costs, to get a job with RYR.
And you will not get into RYR just because you have the money, competition is even hard to get in with them, they can pick and choose who they want at the moment.

Now if I spent the SAME MONEY, as you do with integrated, but chose to use the money example the Eagle Jet program, 737 TR + line training + 12 months contract with company for line training, I would end up with less cost total, I would have around 1100 - 1500 hours on a 737, and it would cost less then the integrated.

So having done it this way, with say 1200 hours on a 737, total 1500 hours, or an integrated student with 200 hours, who will have the best chance to get a job?

The modular going this route will have spent LESS money, then the integrated, and will have many more chances to get a job.

Modular with hour building approx. £35.000 + £35.000 for TR and 500 hours line training, then you get 12 months work, paid with free housing (EJ offer this) - say you get £3.000 a month, that's going to return you £36.000 in around 12 months, and you will have a total of maybe 1200 hours or more on type.

Now you can say it is wrong to pay for TR and line training, but it is equally wrong to think that just because you pay premium Oxford / CTC that you will get a job straight in with the airline.
This is a lie the FTO's have been selling to long. The norm is not getting direct in with the airline as soon as you completed your CPL/IR/ME.

At that stage you are just learning to fly, and you should get more experience, but fast food world, wants things yesterday, and not tomorrow.

My point anyway, is that a modular can spend less money, and be better prepared for getting a job, even though he might have to take an unusual route to achieve this.
It is unfortunate, but that is life, I could not go away for 18 months to Asia because I have family, but others who can, I would say it is a good chance, to get yourself into the front end of the que, being able to get a job.