PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Pilot CRM
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2011, 20:53
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Francis Frogbound
I attended a single crew CRM day recently along with two other regular posters on these forums. All three of us fly both single and multi crew IFR operations for the same employer and so get two courses a year each, one for the single crew stuff and one for the multi cew.
I find it quite interesting that there is formal CRM training offered for single pilot operations. As a general statement I would suggest that in this type of training what you get out of it is influenced by what you bring to the training. Obviously as a professional pilot you will have a significant experience base to draw on, which obviously will not be the case for a low houred PPL. I would be very interested if you could post some of the course topics and how they would be directly utilizable by a day VFR PPL in a light single piston aircraft.

I ask this question because my local flying club has been thinking about offering some seminars on Pilot Decision Making (PDM) for the PPL and I am looking for ideas.

BTW I think there is a semantic differences at play here too. In Canada "CRM" seems to always be discussed in the context of Multi Crew operations with "PDM" being applied to the same kinds of processes for Single Pilot operations.