PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Pilot CRM
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2011, 12:57
ei-flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hold up guys... I think we got some oversensitive people here, claiming that IO540's comments are degrading to 'their' profession!

I fly in a CRM jet environment most days, and I take IO540's side on this one - I came up the ladder as modular as it is possible to go modular! CRM makes my JOB much easier than I imagine it would have been decades before I was even born. But that's where it belongs - in a multi crew professional environment.

For PPL flying, anyone who's had a half decent instructor needs none of this, unless of course they are interested in it for their own knowledge. Because during the course of your PPL training, your instructor equips you with all the 'SP CRM' you will need to be a proficient pilot. It's organisation and multitasking effectively. Not CRM. Ok ok, it used to stand for one thing, now another, but that's besides the point. CRM is primarily in place to reinforce the 1+1= >2 concept, to utilise two minds working in a confined space so they are fluidly helping and reinforcing each other, as opposed to getting in each others' way. It is designed around company SOPs, therefore has little place in a private environment.

My standing is - there's no substitute for good cockpit and time management when flying as a single pilot. Somebody mentioned common sense is somewhat lacking - I disagree, I think most people who have become PPL holders have the where-with-all to learn from themselves as well as others. With the exception of, what always seems to be, the middle aged, lazy, aristocratic types. They're normally pretty dangerous in my experience... And hey, maybe they could do with a little CRM training, if only to understand their own limitations...

Hey ho