PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So called experts thread?
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2011, 10:24
cavortingcheetah
Está servira para distraerle.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(a PA30 Twinco is nonetheless notoriously hard to land well

because it has a fairly laminar flow wing that just stops flying and drops you out of the sky.

And the float from ground effect from the airflow trapped under the wing does not make it any easier.)

True.

It has and it does if you come down the slope too slowly.

It does if you fly the approach too fast.

The PA30 is difficult to land smoothly or properly. It can be an embarrassing little aircraft. The wing is nearly laminar flow and the aircraft does float in ground effect. If you let it drop too soon you can easily enough find yourself doing two or three touchdowns, more often than not on the nosewheel. It's an aircraft which requires height control, touchdown reference point judgement and finals speed profile protocol. As a mere Commanche fan and ex member of the TC Club/USA I don't profess to be an expert. What I would say though is that I think it's a superlative aircraft which has suffered by being used as an initial twin converter when it was designed as a fast (for the time) light twin commuter machine to be used by people who already did know how to fly. I could, of course, continue to write a longish article giving my expert views on the Apache, Aztec and Twin Commanche from an American, a South African, a sea level and a high altitude reference relationship. However I regret to say that I am not paid to write articles for the education of the masses and so shall desist from putting my knowledge into the public arena where it would not doubt attract little more than vituperative criticism from those whose braided shoulders far outweighed their cranial capacity for intelligent and informedly rational discussion.
Toodle Pip!