PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 26th Feb 2011, 13:50
Aynayda Pizaqvick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to play the devils advocate and ask why should we give generous remuneration packages to the trainees about to go out the door?

At no stage through training is anyone guaranteed a job on the front line and the 'pass mark' for training is effectively whatever standard the MoD requires to fill the available slots. Right now we need cock all pilots so the pass mark has just been raised by about 30%. Obviously this will be devastating for a lot of people who have dreamed of a career as aircrew, but they have received some of the highest quality flying training available and a reasonable salary while doing it - there are worse situations to be in!

Whilst I think it would be nice to give these guys a helping hand back into civilian life I also think people are dreaming to think that we are in a position to offer them anywhere near the generous packages being rumoured (e.g. a years salary while they study for their civvy licences and then a generous lump sum for redundancy). These people were still under training so why should they be offered better terms than someone who has served longer and completed productive operational tours elsewhere in the RAF? Quite simply they shouldn't.

The RAF would be quite within their rights to pay them till the end of the month and send them packing, but I really hope they don't resort to that.