PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job on CitationXLS or Ryanair?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2011, 08:24
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Would advise you to go to RYR, purely for the likelyhood that you'll recieve more consistent training to a likely higher standard. You'll also benefit from a more structured SOP environment whilst you learn your trade.
Many many guys and girls struggle with the bizjet to airline transition, the same certainly isn't true with airline to bizjet (just look at TAG, Nietjets..plus a few more besides) although to be fair, it is a totally different world to airline flying.
I've flown GA, Airlines, then went to Bizjets, and am now working back in the Airlines. My personal preference would have been to stay in the Bizjet world..but with a wife, kiddies and mortgage..bizjets just dont offer that financial security...unless of course you are one of the 5% or so who bag a job with a great owner/family who view you as an idespensible member of their team.
Go to RYR, experience the life...then when you are settled and dont have to think too hard about actually flying anymore...have a look at bizjets if you are still interested.
One last thing...the biggest issue ex airline guys face with their transition to bizjets is quite simple..FLEXIBILITY...so if you are prepared to be flexible...a few thousand 737 hours will look good on your CV, better in fact than 500 XLS hours to the vast majority of mid-sized and larger bizjet operators (cos they pay better!)
Just a copy and paste of my post from a similar thread..posted by the same user elsewhere.

G-SPOTs Lost, sorry old chap but I have to bite back (and its not a biz vz airline thing)
I have to take issue with your comments here, with respect to guys taking longer to train..crm..and of course the lack of a plan thats common in the corporate world.
I would argue that this is PRECISELY why coming from (lets be honest) a far more structured and regulated environment stands someone with a lower level of experience a far better chance of learning good habits, rather than some of the less than desireable things I've seen from certain small jet operators.
Also, FWIW, yes its a BIG generalisation to say airliners stumble from one radar environ to another...but not always, as a case in point, I took a 777 into an airport recently...and was number 2 behind a PA-23.
CRM I wold say is in a general sense far easier in corporate..simply because you DO get to know who you are flying with..and unless you are a sociopath, it tends to allow you to figure the other bod out...it makes for a CRM level that exceeds most airliner flightdecks...unless of course you fly with one of those "unique" single pilot personalities that seem to mostly inhabit the GA ranks.
For a 700hr guy..with little real world exposure..RYR is the better option.