PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sidesteping in a A320 (Max taxi speed and landing callout)
Old 21st Feb 2011, 17:18
Meikleour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortfuel: My postings were to draw peoples` attention to some of the less obvious aspects of this manoeuvre.

1) if the ILS is still being received for the original runway then, you MAY get a G/S warning from the GPWS depending on airfield geometry.
2) if the landing runway is not the same as the one in the active flight plan then you MAY get a EGPWS "TOO LOW TERRAIN" warning.

Both of the above can be avoided by changing the active landing runway.

If you chose to "just switch the F/Ds off and eyeball it" in the style of the best Hollywood airline captains then yes, you MAY get neither warning but also you MAY get either or both warnings!

All I am trying to say is that a bit of system knowledge may save you from a few surprises. If you feel that the above is complete bxllxcks then there is nothing more to be said, I feel. Airline flying is all about risk mitigation. What is least risky - PNF going `head down` for a few seconds at 1,500ft when visual or deciding whether to treat a GPWS warning when received at a lower height as spurious?

Please also note that in my previous posts I have never said exactly how I deal with this occurance.