PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Feb 2011, 14:24
Rover90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BASSA membership

Establishing the true headcount:

The pay office deals with a number of deductions for staff and a good example is the FSRC*

A long suffering unpaid committee member would sit in the depths of TBA and dutifully check off each subscription from a long computer printout each month.

Things have moved on and BASSA could get the information from BA in any format they wished and one thing is for sure, they would know exactly how many members were subscribing using the "check off scheme", and incidentally BA charge 2.5% of the sub for the service.

As Ottergirl says, that just leaves the CC89/Amicus membership who pay directly and clearly BASSA are going through a data cleaning exercise on that front.

With the data to hand, someone has still got to go through the BASSA database and establish the status of each entry, that is member in good standing or not.

Once that task is completed, a definitive list of members can be forwarded to the ERS for balloting.

On another front:

I see that BASSAwitch has got the good news from BASSA.

Just so we are clear why this is an issue:

I used to pay £16.38 pcm (£196.56 pa) deducted by the pay office annotated T&GWU

It was my understanding that UNITE and BASSA received £10.96 pcm (£131.52 pa) and £5.42pcm (£65.04 pa) respectively less the 2.5% collection fee charged by BA

It is also my understanding that the BASSA Branch Secretary receives an honorarium of 5% of the UNITE subs, that is 5% of £131.52 pa. per member. A figure of £6.57 pa per member.

Furthermore, I know that £7.12 pa of my Unite subscription was treated as a political levy to support the Labour Party and it was my right to opt out but I never did.

Based on a membership of 10,000 members:

Allegedly
  • The BASSA branch secretary receives an honorarium of £65,760 pa for the collection of the Unite subs of circa £1.3 million pa
  • Unite the union receive circa £1.3 million pa in subs from members and correctly produce and distribute audited accounts
  • The BASSA branch receive the balance of the subs from members, circa £650k pa, but publishes no accounts as to how they are applied.
  • The Labour Party benefits from a £71,200 pa political levy from BA Cabin Crew
* Flying Staff Reacreation Club. Longhaul flight/cabin crew thing really as you can elect to pay £1.00 per month deducted from your pay by the pay office and the club would position sports/games equipment down route for you to use as a club member.