PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone thought of studying an MBA?
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 13:05
Dodo56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends what you hope to get out of it. Going back to when Pontius was a Pilot, MBAs were for the select few from the likes of Harvard, Insead or Imperial. It was 2 years hard full time study and if you met someone with an MBA you knew they were business elite.

Times change.

Having done a 1 year full time MBA myself 10+ years ago at a quite well-respected school I can see the relevance to someone who is going to run a business, and I still think that when someone can take on an intensive full time course, absorb, understand and apply knowledge it says something about what they can do at work. Of course it's not the only avenue and not everybody finds it gets them to the top of the tree but the people who can't see its value are generally the types who insist on declaring themselves graduates of "The University of Life"

Today you can do MBAs from many institutions, even part time ones. It is debatable whether they give the individual much more than the same set of learning tools you'd get from an undergraduate degree. That has a value too of course, it's just not the same as it was originally and comes back to what I originally said, it depends what you want to get out of it.

An MBA may open a few doors but in my experience it's no guarantee you can change direction even if you wanted to. In some jobs it will be of little use (except maybe in broadening your horizons) but in others (business management) it may well give you the tools you need.

HTH