PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:36
vctenderness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litebulbs
It is my understanding that a branch can claim an amount of member subs. The last time I spoke to an officer on this, the figure was 5% of subs. However, I can't see it in the Unite rulebook, which just says a proportion.
I am afraid you are wrong on this. It is a fact that The TGWU, Amicus and Unite previously allowed branches to retain a small amount of the subs from members. However that is not how BASSA works.

BASSA charge a sum over and above the Unite members subscription rate. DH gets his percentage of the Unite subs personally and the additional amount goes into the branch fund which is held by him.

Most officers of Unite don't understand this fact themselves as it is now quite unique in that organisation.

Woodley gave BASSA a written undertaking prior to the merger of TGWU that their 'methods of operation' would remain post merger.

I know for a fact that the accounts are never made available to the members under any circumstances. The branch auditors are a couple of safe hands chosen by DH.

Your knowledge of union matters is excellent Litebulbs however BASSA is not run like any other branch in the union.

BASSA has a long history of mis-management of funds that stretches back to the breakaway in 1989.