PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Odly enough, I have not seen a thread to mark this momentous occasion
Old 20th Feb 2011, 14:54
NutLoose

Received 2,997 Likes on 1,273 Posts
Oddly enough, I have not seen a thread to mark this momentous occasion

So I have copied it over here.

Farewell navigator . .

Farewell navigator . . 18/02/2011

Training of navigators in the RAF ceased forever today as the 3 last students graduated at RAF Cranwell.

The graduates - Flight Lieutenants Sam Baker, James Lamb and Helena Phillips - were presented with their Weapon Systems Officer (WSO) brevets by the RAF's most senior operational commander, Air Chief Marshal Sir Simon Bryant, Commander-in-Chief Air Command and the most senior navigator the RAF has seen.

All 3 will now move to RAF Leeming to finish training on Hawks before moving on to the Tornado GR4 bomber.

The navigators' 'N' brevet changed to the illustrated 'WSO' one in 2003, when the navigator and air electronic officer branches amalgamated. Prior to 'N' it was the 'O' observers' brevet until 1942.

The Station Commander explained at the ceremony that, in the very early days, aircrew sewed a sixpenny piece behind their brevets to make them stand out, and in a very nice touch, Flight Lieutenant Harry Hughes DFC DFM - an 89-year-old navigator who survived 76 operations in WWII - presented each of the graduates with a sixpenny (well, actually 5p . .) piece.

The Institute's Navigation Trophy - for achieving the highest overall standard of air navigation, academic studies and personal qualities - went to Sam Baker. Past-Director, Group Captain David Broughton, represented the Institute at the ceremony and offered a period of Guest membersip to the graduates.

So 25-year-old Helena Phillips BEng Hons has become the last ever person to graduate as a RAF navigator . . a poignant reminder of changing times . .

The Institute is hoping to run a half-day event to commemorate the passing of the RAF navigator - provisionally planned for 27 June in the RAF Club. Watch this space for further details.

Last edited by NutLoose; 20th Feb 2011 at 16:15.