PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lithium battery related incidences
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 22:48
craftmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have stated the opinion that I would like to see the investigation of this taken to the next level. I believe test should be done and published for all to see. If it exist I would love to see it.

I have also posted many unanswered questions. I don't claim to be an expert but I am quite aware of the dangers. Perhaps I know enough not to be satisfied with the answers given by government people who have shown in the past to be reactive and not proactive.

I did work on a Truck GPS research project at one time and we looked into portable GPS devises. We quickly learned if we could not meet 2 requirements we were not going to bring lithium batteries into our project. The 2 things are:

1. A research team the size of say Toshiba to do battery and electronic design with controlled charging and temp monitoring with test to satisfy the insurance

2. The ability to absorb the consequncse of a fractional percent of catastrophic failures. So much as dropping a laptop just right can puncture a battery without knowing it.

Being in airplanes I don't consider .001% catastrophic failure acceptable.

I did make another post showing some videos but being new here every couple post needs to be approved. It will show up within 24hrs so I won't re-post the data.

Although I have a lot of experience in this area and have my own thoughts I have not presented as an expert because there is a lot of un answered questions. I am not about to say this is what needs to be done. Anyone can do that. I don't believe I am the only one with answers either. The first step is to identify the problem; all aspects of it. Being in a confined space at fl400 with no escape is the primary problem.

Suffice to say I do not believe it has adequately been addressed. There are 2 camps.

A. Those who think the government has done everything it needs to make us safe.

B. Those who think there has not been an accident bad enough for the government to take it seriously.

I am in camp B. I don't blindly rely on others to cover my butt. I would like to see people put their heads together and look at it seriously and publish info for all to see.

Take a look at my other post when it gets through.