PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker
Thread: Airtanker
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 13:28
EGT Redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI a decent LAE with types is on £45K-£60K living in his own flat/house and driving a decent car with a steady bonk in tow.
He probably has share options, a decent pension, travel discounts and is able to plan his life for quite some months ahead. He possibly plays a decent game of Golf and/or goes to most of his teams matches. In his normal working day the most hassle he has is with security "staff" and their latest dreamed-up method of searching for nail clippers.

And you want to tempt him away from that ...with...erm, what?
£44k + shift + SR payment if the current AirTanker advert for Licensed Engineers is anything to go by. Wouldn't open my toolbox for that and I'm almost certain most of my multi-type rated colleagues on a good screw wouldn't either. Let me see, give up the round the world charters as flying spanner or trips to man our line outstations in the Maldives, Goa, Canaries and Balearics for a tent in the Middle East or portacabin down the Falklands. Give up the 4 on 4 off shift pattern where you can plan your life one year in advance. Give up the chance to go home to my family every day after work to live out of a suitcase in digs at Brize wishing my life away for days off. The list goes on and on. Now if they were looking for contractors and paying £6k a month take home (the going rate for a contract LAE) working a one week on one week off shift pattern I might be tempted.....

Worthy of note is the fact that the RAF recently put a load of guys through civil maintenance licence courses at great expense for the King Air project. On completion they then sent them out to industry for 12 months to get the required experience for type rating application. These individuals (who now have qualifications and experience that are transferrable to the civil sector) are currently leaving in their droves after working the return of service. FSTA will be no different and engineers and pilots will use it as a stepping stone to go onto bigger and better things.