PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANOTHER thread on holder's operating capacity (sorry)...
Old 7th Sep 2002, 09:21
Irv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>would like to post an answer from ..

Points I'd add: I don't believe anyone will EVER convince the majority of the instructor population that p1-p1/s is for examiners only - it's far too endemic, and everyone was brought up that way. I'm just concerned that if this ever gets the spotlight on it for the 12 hours 'counting' rules, someone (the guy that actually paid for the flight!) is going to be unhappy IF examiners are told sometime in the future that next time they count to 12, P1/s doesn't count if it wasn't with an examiner. Remember it's the pilots responsibility to log properly, but I'd think p-u-t is much 'safer' and 'future proof' if the instructor was taking the P1, so convince yourself you are being trained.
Why would the spotlight fall on it?
Alarm bells started ringing on this when JAR came in and I heard some syndicate (just normal PPL holders) at Popham discussing getting round the 12 hours requirement by actually doing 6 each. (They always fly together, they wanted to always claim one was 'checking out the other for the syndicate', so in their grand plan they wanted to log every flight as p1-p1/s and double count the hours - obviously alternating the checkouts, so they could both get 12 hours out of only 12 hours aircraft use!)
I told them not to come and see me with their log books, but if that became common place, you could imagine a rethink of how hours are checked might happen!