PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airtanker
Thread: Airtanker
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 20:53
Charley

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It is very much a sensible question. Neither of the two type-rated A330 guys I know would consider a job that paid below the market rate. There are plenty of pilots on the job market at the moment, but not quite so many type-rated A330 guys. And certainly not many that would meet the RAF fitness test, I'd wager...

The RAF contingent of the Air Tanker crews can presumably be posted onto the unit, so no factor for them. The civil contingent, meanwhile, will need to be 'attracted' -- why would anybody expect different?

If Air Tanker propose a weak package, there'll be limited take-up. Simples.

On the other hand, let's assume that the package does turn out to be uncompetitive due to the pervasive view that 'if it matters that much to someone, they're not the type we want'. If any civvie (ex-mil or not) applies despite a poor package based on the notion that it is some kind of 'noble cause' or that they are somehow 'doing their bit for Queen and country', consider this; isn't it the case that only 'some' of the AT assets will be at the RAF's disposal at any one time? Presumably, the rest of the time will be spent flying civilian charters. How would one of these 'noble few' feel after spending some* of their time flying normal, hum-drum civilian charters in competition with guys getting paid lots* more for the same work? Not very noble any more, I'd suspect...

* = speculative guesses, for the sake of making an example

Last edited by Charley; 18th Feb 2011 at 21:10. Reason: Stated something that I can't now find the reference for.