PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IRAQ or ZIMBABWE
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2002, 03:13
In Tor Wot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the choice (not that we will) between Zimbabwe and Iraq my vote goes for both.

Zimbabwe is not part of the Empire any more and hasn't been for the past 2-3 decades. Whilst a previous post made the comment that the whites have 'made their bed' I don't think even they anticipated what is going on now. Mugabe is a murderous, vicious little git who isn't worth the cost of the bullet, however, had he been white and doing this to black farmers we wouldn't be having this discussion as we would already have been there for 2 1/2 years (when he started his latest round of pillage). It's a shame the chattering classes who shouted until action was taken in Kosovo couldn't have maintained even a modicum of consistency when it comes to the other despots around the world.

Just before everyone starts firing off about colonialism - no I didn't think it was that good an idea - just remember the scene from Life of Brian - 'So, apart from roads, water, sewerage, schools and houses; what have the Romans ever done for us?'

As for Iraq - if I started a thread on this site on the 10 Sep 01, saying that a group of fanatics were about to use airliners to slam into skyscrapers in the US and that I could stop it by attacking Afghanistan and removing the terrorist group responsible, 2 things would have happened:

1. Everyone would ask me what proof have I got that this ridiculous and speculative threat would ever happen (followed by derisive laughter and disdainful claims of survivalist nutter).

2. I would be told that there was no UN resolution and therefore I could not act.

(2a. On Sep 12 I'd be nicked by the CIA/FBI)

Call me pessimistic, but, why should I wait for Saddam to use the chemical and biological weapons that he has developed before I do something about it?