PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 91 Year Old Spitfire Pilot Needs Your Help
Old 18th Feb 2011, 12:45
VIProds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE

Had a Msg from RAF Benson stating that the History Team have completed a thorough search of all the archives & haven't been able to locate Alec's items.

The Station Commander has requested that Alec & myself be invited to meet the Commanding Officer Base Support Wing "it is hoped that a face to face meeting will alow us to resolve the matter more effectively" ? They would also ensure that there is sufficient time for a brief tour of the areas of the Station where Alec was based.

I spoke with Alec & he indicated that he would love to revisit Benson. I asked Alec's lovely wife, Audrey if she would like to take my place, but she insisted that I accompany Alec as I would be in a much better position to describe details & explain things to him, because of his failing eyesight.

I wrote back to Benson & accepted their invitation & asked if they could arrange transportation. I felt that a return car journey would mean that Alec (who would be 92 by then) would be stuck in the car for six or seven hours & that would be too long for him. I said that we lived only a few miles from Humberside Airport (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Benson said that they could not supply air transport, but kindly offered to send a rail warrant.

I went on the British Rail website & found out that the return journey from Cleethorpes (our local Station) to Didcot Parkway would take a total of nine & a half hours & we would have to change trains a total of six times, so that was totally unaceptable. I have asked that, if I was able to arrange for a private plane to take us down there would they give the pilot permission to land ?

I have just had a reply back from Nikki the PRO, who has been fantastic throughout this issue. She said that it would not be a problem to land a plane at RAF Benson. The pilot of the aircraft needs to ensure the necessary paperwork & arrangements are in place & can be completed with just a couple of days notice.

So all I have to do now is find a kind pilot who is current, that can fly us from Lincolnshire to Oxfordshire & back sometime after April !!