PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job on CitationXLS or Ryanair?
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 12:34
chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Ronand,

How times have changed.....!!

Having only worked in the Bizjet industry and not the airlines I can only give you one perspective.

I think it depends on your lifestyle.

Firstly, the role of GA is I expect very different to Airline. With GA, you do have to look after all aspects of the flight including the catering, ice, hot water, newspapers. You do have to deal with pax directly and if there are delays - you could be in the firing line with a barrage of abuse from a disgruntled passeneger who assumes that as they have paid thousands for the plane, they should be able to go when ever they want! You do have to clean the aircraft up including the hoovering and washing up - this part isn't as glamarous. You may or may not have a roster with your existing company but your working days could be fairly varied and you might not be able to guarantee when you will be working. This is why is say, "it depends on your lifefstyle". If your married and have dependants, the pro's and con's are that you are around a fair bit (during the quiet months) but can be away from 1 night to several nights away from your family (this could be a good or bad thing!). A lot of the jobs you do will mean being away from home. Plus, you might not know when you are working so its a little unstable. However, you routing is not structured. You could be in Geneva one day and then Moscow then next, its very varied and challenging as the airports you could be landing at have limited facilities i.e. NDB only...

In your type of aircraft, its below 10t where as the the 737 is a lot lot more. However, again, the role is similar in that you are flying in RVSM airspace at the same FLs (if not higher). Your paying £10000 for the XL rating compared to the 737 which is approx double. The flying part of the job is very similar (I think!)

In terms of prospects, as I said your flying an aircraft below 10t. It can be fairly limiting as a lot of the airlines will require experienced crew members with medium to heavy jet type if you chose to move on to the airlines at a later stage. You wont be doing the same sort of hours in GA compared to what you would be doing with the likes of Ryanair as you should expect around 350-400 hours per year for GA flying whereas you are sure to expect a lot more with Ryanair. So again, for career progression if you dont have a lot of hours then it will take you some time to climb the ladder.

Again, in terms of lifestyle. Its hard to make plans with your family and friends in GA. It is workable, only if you have an understanding partner and friends. If your roster permits, you might have one or two weekends a month off a month or none at all as the majority of the time, especially in the summer months, working Fridays - Sundays are the norm.

In regards of Pay. It depends....from my knowledge the majority of airline work is better paid however its not always that dissimlar. Sometimes it can be more....it just depends on who you work with.

Sorry to be harping on about lifestyle but it is so important. If your a single guy and have little responsibilities, its the best job! If your committed, then its very hard! Although, I am sure with the airlines its hard too as you dont have a normal 9-5 mon - fri job (but then you wouldn't be in flying if thats what you wanted!). However with the airlines there is (I believe from my mates) more structure...you know where you are from one month to the next. In GA your lucky if its the day before!!

If you need any further advice, pm me and more than happy to offer further advice.