PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1st cross country flight, hit turbulance and ??
Old 16th Feb 2011, 16:56
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't let this go:
"To be honest i was scared during one part of the flight during which i was not sure what was happening.
My attitude is that if it scare's you and you cant get over it, well this career ain't for you."

There's nothing wrong with fear or being afraid. Reasonable fear of an existing hazard is an intelligent reaction, and useful. Not being smart enough to appreciate the risks of a novel experience is a well grounded disqualification for a career in this job. One needs to have a real and appreciable respect for the definite possibility of a fatal error, I hope- because I'm not infrequently afraid on the job, and I started doing this in 1968.
Personally, I use the level of anxiety as the final, rock solid evaluation of whether I'm going to do something or continue doing it. If it becomes too 'sporty', I quit, if I can, period, end of story. Maybe I'll develop the skills to do "that thing" someday, and maybe I won't. But I'd rather be wrong on the ground and alive... Lesser levels of anxiety motivate me to evaluate my abort plans and the parameters to stop.
There's no better time for rational fear than when things are happening that you don't understand and you're not certain of how best to resolve the issue, as in your original post of this thread.

Last edited by Devil 49; 16th Feb 2011 at 17:00. Reason: clarification