PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 16th Feb 2011, 16:20
warty99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AngryDave said:
Out of service date will be Sep 2012, so another 18 months in a blue suit although there is no plan what to do with those affected for those 18 months. Just enough time to wait and see people complete the course you've been choped off. If you want out earlier, VW is an option but there is no incentive to do that.
I may be absolutely wrong about this, but the last I heard recruitment for pilots was planned to reopen in financial year 2012/13. If true, and AD's out-of-service date is true, that puts us in a situation where pilots who have been made redundant are still on the payroll in 2012 while new recruits are already coming in to replace them.

Now, I may be wrong about this as well, but I'm pretty sure one of the main factors when you make someone redundant is that the job itself is disappearing - you can't just make someone redundant and then hire someone else to do the same job.

If we're hanging on to trainee pilots for another 18 months before we boot them out, then taking in new trainee pilots in 14 months (ish), I can't see how redundancy is legal.

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes in that one, but that's the first thing I'd be clarifying in a discreet call to an employment lawyer ...