PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:11
Wrathmonk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the redundancy and resettlement package
Judging by the posts on how the line is going to be drawn in the sand as to who stays and who goes (i.e. based on IOT and/or flying reports - with no one actually knowing where the goalposts have moved to) I fear those discharged may fall under the phrase 'Services no longer required - failed to meet the required standard' (or whatever the PC phrase is these days) and will receive next to nothing (or indeed nothing). As far as I can recall until you are CR / 6 months into your first tour you are still effectively under training and there are no "contractual" binds for either side so you can still VW or be SNLR'd. As with all things in the RAF the cheapest option may be the easiest but it is not always the best.

Good luck to those this effects. For those who take a branch change keep plugging away with your requests for a rebranch once the pipeline reopens. The last time there was a pilot shortage (and it is only a matter of time for the next one) they were taking navigators in their early to mid 30s back through the pilot training system