PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 16th Feb 2011, 08:37
MrPVRd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the legal status on this? From my ab-initio days as a FC years ago, I recall that you could certainly be chopped for training related reasons.

This appears to be redundancy. If so, there are procedures and regulations, including collective consultation. Solutions such as reduction in working hours (etc) need to be explored as part of this process. Will employment lawyers be queuing up and rubbing their hands in glee? Will this cost more than it saves? Why should baby pilots (or anyone else) be expected to maintain transparently-hypocritical 'OQs' until the moment they walk (are kicked) out the door?

As I've said, I think it's a colossal misjudgement and demonstrates the approach to 'tough decisions' - cut where the cuts always fall, time and time again. Those who say this is the only answer should be questioning the question! Meanwhile, bankers are troughing millions, MPs are trying to claw back the expenses gravy train, money is being urinated away in a million different ways, Trident is sitting big fat and useless somewhere top secret...business as usual in the UK!