PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarter of RAF trainee pilots to be sacked
Old 15th Feb 2011, 17:36
switch_on_lofty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: RN Comments

Firstly I'd like to offer my sympathy to any of those being made redundant, especially those who haven't finished training.

In reply to those discussing RN fixed wing, Naval Standards Fixed Wing are not a large organisation by any means. They use FRADU-parented Hawks, but the organisation itself is an agent of CFS. See link below:
Royal Navy
Anyone arguing that they should be cut as a cost-saving measure should surely realise that this and their other important roles would have to be carried out by someone else therefore saving nothing.

Both the RN and RAF think that they've had it worst post-SDSR. As there are lots of people putting the RAF p.o.v, here's mine:
1) The RN has lost it's ENTIRE FW capability for a "gap". This has already happened. Yes Harrier was Joint but it's loss (and the subsequent retention of GR4) cannot be seen as primarily a loss to the RAF. Think of the guys who moved from SHAR at Yeovilton to Cottesmore/Wittering to now be without an aircraft.

2) RN pilots training in the states. All those on AV-8B loan were returned "negative coffee" after we backed out of the STOVL JSF. Those on F-18 remain, although in minute numbers. Yes you do need to keep people flying from carriers.

3) MR4A. An RAF asset but it's primary role was to protect SSBNs. Although SSBNs are a UK rather than an RN asset again it could be argued that the loss MPA hits the RN (in terms of capability) as much if not more than the RAF.

4) The current over-burden of pilots is not just a result of SDSR cut-backs. Holdovers in both Services have been ridiculous for some time now. The RN has not ruled out compulsory redundancy for aircrew, and we are looking at losing 1 in 7 of FAA personnel in the next 5 years.

5) If the new Chinook buy is cancelled, the RAF will fight tooth and nail to keep Merlin Mk3. This may leave CHF in a precarious position. Embarking 1 or 2 Chinooks (as another post alluded to) for a period of embarked flying is not the same as getting the most from a seaborne platform which is what RN aviation is all about.