PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can too much "knowledge" hurt during PPL training?
Old 15th Feb 2011, 16:52
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
Ghengis

You obviously had not been on the forums or development sections? The knowledge some of those guys had was mind blowing.

Pace
Pace - I have two degrees in aeronautical engineering, I'm a Chartered Engineer, am a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and have been a CAA whole aeroplane design signatory for 15 years. When I started my CPL, I had about 1000hrs flying time. I'm currently supervising somebody with 20 years simulator development experience through his PhD! My personal knowledge of how aeroplanes work is therefore, I'd venture, somewhat above average too.

Yet, to pass my CPL written exams - arguably a far lower level qualification than I already had - I had to put all of this aside, learn the SYLLABUS way of talking, thinking, and describing things, and the gamesmanship of passing the tests. If I had to, so do they!

I did actually learn a lot, which is all back into the pot and added to the existing knowledge base. It was frustrating at times, and sometimes I just had to compartmentalise engineering and "pilot" ways of thinking about things. But it worked out.

G