PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did you ever dread lessons?
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2002, 12:54
Plastic Cockpit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flock1,

I have been out of town for a few days and was disgusted to read your sorry plight.

Please do not let any of this whole exercise put you off. I see you are persevering and that is admirable. You are a STUDENT pilot. You need to be encouraged through the skill and knowledge processes of flying. You pay money for an INSTRUCTOR to teach you. Unfortunately your money seems to have gone towards some self-centred egotistical star who should not even be the holder of a CPL.

I am now an airline Captain who came through the ranks and spent numerous years as a Cheif Flying Instructor. So I have seen the varying personalities of numerous instructors. And the type you describe tend to be the Macho, "This is how good I am and what I can do" ones who have something to prove. Just take a look around the flying school lounges and you will spot the ones who tend to talk of their own exploits a lot. You will invariably find tose who sit and listen are the more perceptive instructors.

I personally do not think the attack on your ability is warranted at all. Furthermore it is a well known fact that those instructors who do shout and swear are indeed covering their own failings. If you have made an error of judgement or decision making, obviously the said instructor either doesn't know what went wrong or doesn't know how to teach you to remedy it. I have even been witness to an occasion where a similar outburst jeopardised an Instructors privilege to retain a CAA medical certificate.

This sort of carry on would certainly be unwelcome in an airline environment let alone the important CRM models required for Flight Training. Do not feel uncomfortable when you next see this Instructor as he is an Instructor by name only and would certainly not be welcome in my team.