PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 12th Feb 2011, 10:39
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What it is, in my opinion, is some well paid employees looking at the prospect of not being so well paid in the future,
Who's to say that they are wrong! Even those of us who voted not to strike, who left the Union and came to work are realistic enough to see that Mixed Fleet could well be the end of our existence a few years down the line. As a Eurofleet CSD I know what it is like to be starved of work because it suits BA and that will likely be the scenario for all of us eventually. So actually we are not poles apart in our prediction of the future.

Where the difference lies is in our approach/reaction to the problem and I accept that what stage you are at in your career will colour this. For me, I left Amicus because they couldn't see that it was BASSA's refusal to sit at the table that had hastened the birth of Mixed Fleet. I expected better of them and they let me down badly when they decided to throw in their lot with BASSA. Our only chance was to have negotiated an integrated approach to new crew and we blew it. The day BASSA made a proposal to BA that included Mixed Fleet I knew we were doomed!

This common ground is what could be the foundation of a recovery for crew relations because ultimately we will have to come up with a plan for the future. I want a union with intelligent reps who will negotiate the best deal. We will need to persuade BA that we are worth holding on to, worth the investment, etc and to do that, we need our customers (who pay our wages) to be telling BA that we are outstanding and they prefer flying with the legacy crew. Throwing a hissy fit and disrupting everyone's lives will persuade no-one!

If I only have a few more years of this wonderful life then I need to make sure that I enjoy every minute and I intend to.