PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC industrial relations (current airline staff only)
Old 11th Feb 2011, 10:12
bigby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just read the comments from Juantrip re 'First Fleet'. For me it is interesting as I absolutely loathed the fact that suddenly I had become something called 'Legacy' Where did that come from? Whether we like it or not names conjure up concepts of ourselves and for me 'Legacy' has some negative conotations. When I read that posting from the originator mooting 'First Fleet' I totally disagree with his superiority conceptualisation it smacks too much of hostility,,,,,however,,,,, the actual term works better for me, its chronologically correct and doesn't make me feel 'a left over'.
Now I am not a union member, left 2 years ago. I can see how a label will now be taken and used in a negative manner. Recall how the St George's cross was 'stolen' by BNP in the 70's and 80's. (this isn't nearly as big as that) but if I now call myself 'first fleet' will I be tarred with the union brush.
In some ways a lot of this ongoing problem lies with this type of problem. When a company moves on if it doesn't take its staff with them how do those staff feel. A lot of people who did strike that I talk to feel, for want of a better word, abandoned.
I am happy and prepared to change, I actually like change, I also like being empowered and being aware that labels are a useful tool I am now 'First Fleet'.