PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Proposed QF Group Pilot Seniority
Old 10th Feb 2011, 07:04
breakfastburrito

Location: On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone is zero
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are Captains and First Officers being told that demotions are 'on the table' later this year when assigned leave runs out?
For the journalists following, if this is correct, this situation is ENTIRELY Qantas's making. There is an MOU between AIPA & Qantas to allow transfers into j* on J* TERMS & CONDITIONS. Yet Qantas have chosen to assign leave to pilots annual leave for the last 5 years rather than allow pilots to transfer to j* under the MOU. It is true, as small number have been able to access position at j*, yet Qantas has blocked the vast majority from being able to do so. I'm guessing that the end game is to demote pilots to reduce redundancy payouts.

Thats correct, Qantas pilots have been sitting at home for the last 5 years, all the while j* has been employing new pilots, and then Qantas claim that longhaul pilots are not competitive.

Qantas have seriously under estimated the resolve of the mainline pilots. When you strangle promotion, threaten demotion all while employing pilots, gifting routes & aeroplanes to your "internal competitor" & denying internal transfers, then prepare for business killing industrial action. The truth is, Qantas management have been at war with its pilots for the last 10 years. It makes me sick to the bottom of my stomach to see John Travolta promote the excellence of "the pilots up front" at the beginning of the safety demo for marketing spin, knowing full well that it is the same pilots management have marked for extermination.
Qantas pilots have been backed into a corner by management with only one option left, major industrial action. This is not about money, it is about a career & progression. Qantas pilots have been denied opportunity to progress their career, without the opportunity to take positions on more "competitive" contracts when there are jobs available. When people have nothing to lose, they lose it. It is entirely in managements hands to stop this madness & insanity. They, and only they choose the path forward, there is no compromise available to the pilots.